DIY Weekend: Sugru


Only yesterday I discovered sugru (which sounds sorta like a Chinese national trying to pronounce "Superglue", but I digress), and this being the 21st century, I ordered a 3 pack on Amazon, which I found on my doorstep this morning.

So far I've  repaired/stress-proofed every power brick and headphone jack & cord in the house, put some little grippy dots on the soles of my bunny slippers, as well as on the shoulder pads of my slippery Eastpack carry-all, replaced lost rubber feet on various apliances and perhaps more importantly added an easy-to-find-by-feel blob on the mute button of the TV remote.

Now, of course, expert engineer types, like our own Skipsul will be saying, "Why pay so much $$$ for a couple small packets of the stuff when you can make your own for pennies by mixing 2 parts  methylethylketoxime with 3 parts Gamma-Aminopropyl Triethoxysiliane? I mean, like, duh!".

Admittedly, he has a point. Although this stuff is the Best Thing Ever In The History Of Everything, it will set you back around $12 with shipping for a 3 X 5g pack. However, don't despair if you're not a chemistry major. Through the magic of the internet, I've found a simple DIY solution for mere mortals:

DIY Sugru: Oogoo! Make your own Sugru with common household materials.

Which leads to all sorts of other cool projects:

DIY 2: Make an Oogoo folding, pocket frisbee
DIY 3: Oogoo Grommets. Because you can never have too many grommets.
DIY 4: 7 more things you can make or fix with Oogoo.
DIY 5: Top 10 sugru (/Oogroo) tips & tricks on Lifehacker

I could go on, but that should be enough to keep you busy until Monday. Be sure to post photos of your Sugru/Oogoo hacks in the comments. Now, get crackin' Pitheads!

UPDATE:
Precision molding parts with sugru and a 3D printer

Comments

Popular Posts