Today's EuroCentric Offering

One of our businesses in Hawaii was a screenprint shop and we printed thousands of these shirts for Casanova Italian restaurant in Makawao. The owners were four Italians, two men, two women, and the story on the coconut telegraph was that they were radical Leftists that fled Italy because of some political transgression. Purely rumor, of course, but it made the rounds. I dealt with them for over ten years and never worked up the courage to ask them about it. I like my kneecaps. But they were nice people when I knew them and dang good capitalists.

When we were back at our oldest's wedding they were still cranking along, still selling the tees. I remember one of them said that the saying is old and well-known so maybe Dash has seen it before. They also told me that they reversed the French and the Italians in the first sentence to fit their case. Every restaurant on east Maui wanted a saying as clever for their t-shirts, but epigrams like this don't grow on trees. It still makes me laugh.  

Comments

Popular Posts