A Friday Gallimaufry of Random Miscellany

Right. So. I'm now reading the next "man in a can" (HT LH) fantasy fiction novel, "Wool" by Hugh Howey. He writes well enough and all that but, Hugh, we have a problem. He brings us into the story from the viewpoint of a guy who's going to die. Says so right in the first sentence. We find that his wife had also died not too long ago, but we get a chapter or so of their story anyhoo and we start to get kinda attached to them even though one is dead and the other is going to die.

And so he does.

Thus we switch over to another couple, older and wiser. They've been around the block silo a couple times, so they should be better equipped to deal with life in the can and after a few chapters, we're really seeing some character development. We like these guys. Then they die.

So now we're getting to know a young lady, sort of a Kaylee from Firefly type 'o gal and we really like her. But here's the rub: we're not even a third of the way into the story yet and I'm sensing a pattern here. Fool me twice, shame on me. I ain't gettin' emotionally invested in your characters no more Hugh, until you promise to stop offin' em. It's causing me great distress.


§§§


You remember Joe Biden, right? Then you probably remember, back almost 10 years ago, when he was roundly ridiculed for his idea that Iraq should be split up into three separate regions.
It's hard to say it. I hate to say it, but, like a stopped-clock, he was right.

We owe crazy old Joe an apology.



§§§

It's Father's Day this Sunday, or as it's know in the dash household, the day before my daughters ask "Hey, was it Father's Day yesterday?". Why not mix things up this year by celebrating (or forgetting, as the case may be) with an international flair?


§§§


We don't see much of Buffy these days, but I'm pleased to tell you that she still looks chic in a embroidery detailed shift dress which also features tasteful sheer sections. 

She also adds height to her look with strappy white heels while she wears her ombre locks poker straight. 

She opts to keep the look simple with minimal accessories and natural make-up.


Ok, ok, I've been slacking lately, but I'll try to keep you up to date more often on Buffy fashion sightings.











§§§

I was walking my dog around the parc and two charming young ladies came up and asked--in a halting yet perfectly correct, if heavily accented French--if they could pet my dog. I agreed, then asked them--in a correct, if heavily New Joisey accented English-- where they where from.

Nebraska.

So I asks, I does, are they on vacation, or students, or what? To which one says "Yah, students." Not "Yeah" or "Yes". Yah, like a Kraut in an old war movie. I was tempted to ask them what that was all about, but I pretty much just wanted them to go away and stop bothering my dog, so I'll ask youse guys, is that a Nebraska thing, do Nebraskans go around saying jah und nein, or did I stumble upon some infiltrators?

Comments

Popular Posts