It's A Great Day to be...

...cloning a hard drive.
I keel you, I swear, I keel you!
Yeeesss, indeedy, I awoke to find a rather nicely worded message from Mike Rosoft telling me that yet another hard drive is wobbling and tilting and about to fall. This one at least had the good grace to warn me ahead of time instead of slitting it's own throat silently, behind my back like the others. Cowards.

The question sitting lightly on my lips is "WTF?!". I mean, WTFingF?! Back in the nineties when I was editing video off a RAID 0 array, I expected to thrash my drives on a regular basis (and was rarely disappointed in those expectations), but this is a new millennium with hard disk technology that is leaps and bounds beyond what we had in the old far west days, and I'm miles and miles away from the 1.2 gazillion hours between failures that I thought I was paying for. Swindlers.

Furthermore (furthermore!), the S.M.A.R.T.  control panel tells me "Don't worry, be happy, every little thing's gonnbe awright". S.M.A.R.T. my A.R.S.E. More useless pseudotech to lull you into complacency. Wake up sheeple!

This has me wondering whether Skipsul's gunsmiths haven't branched out into the lucrative disk manufacturing bidniss. That certainly would explain a lot of what's been going on in this industry lately.


Comments

Popular Posts