Next Project


I found my late uncle's violin stashed away in the cellar. Apparently, dear old Dad recuperated it from the estate, for sentimental reasons. My uncle had it since he was a child although I never heard him play, that I can recall. It must be about 100 years old. It was in a piteous state and I have no idea whether it is worth the effort, but I decided to restore it. So, I scraped and sanded the old, gummy varnish, sealed it with some ruby xhellac and rubbed in a savant mixture of linseed oil, turpentine and copal varnish. Glued the nut back on, scraped and sanded the grooves out of the ebony fingerboard and ordered a new saddle, bridge, strings and horsehair for the bow. Then we'll see how xhe sounds.




Now, I don't play the fiddle (yet), although I did try it once when I was a teen and caused our dog to vomit on the carpet. It seems like it should be easy. I should give it another shot.


Of course, this is more of what I'm shooting for. Sort of a 19th century Eddie Van Halen. I could totally pull that off. Keep you posted.


Comments

Popular Posts